Rotherham 1-0 QPR- Match Report

Rotherham finally back on the winning trail as they see off QPR

Rotherham finally ended a winning drought that went back to August as they beat QPR 1-0 in the Sky Bet Championship.

The division's bottom club have endured a horrid campaign, but got just their second three points of the campaign thanks to Izzy Brown's first-half goal.

It was a thoroughly deserved success for caretaker boss Paul Warne's side as they had a host of chances to make the game safe, with Danny Ward hitting the crossbar, while at the other end they kept only their second clean sheet of the season.

They remain 10 points off safety and are locked in a relegation battle and on this evidence Ian Holloway's side might join them as they were well off the pace, slipping to a third successive loss.

There was a sign of what was to come as the opening 10 minutes were laden with chances for both teams.

Lee Frecklington tested Alex Smithies inside the first 60 seconds and then Ward headed wide for the hosts while Conor Washington and Yeni Ngbakoto drew superb saves from Lewis Price.

Both sides continued to threaten but it was Rotherham that made the breakthrough, scoring the first goal in a game since September 24 and it was a fine move that saw Brown convert.

The Chelsea loanee received the ball from a throw-in, fed Ward and then surged through to receive the return ball before firing home.

The Millers almost were not allowed to enjoy their moment for more than a couple of minutes, but another fine stop from Price kept them in front, when he somehow kept out Tjaronn Chery's effort with his feet.

After enjoying just a fifth half-time interval in a winning position this season, they again had Price to thank for keeping that lead in tact as he produced more acrobatics to tip over Chery's 35-yard free-kick.

Under Warne Rotherham were showcasing the battling qualities that have been a trademark of their time in the Championship up until this season and their relentless pressing of QPR stopped Holloway's men from dominating.

Instead it was the Millers who looked the most likely to add a second as Smithies saved low at the feet from Richard Wood following a corner and Ward shot narrowly wide from an acute angle.

And they will never have a better opportunity to kill a game off than the one that presented itself in the 78th minute.

After the impressive Ward thundered a shot into the woodwork, the rebound fell for Joe Newell, but with an open goal waiting the midfielder could not get the ball under control and embarrassingly spooned over.

Newell then tested Smithies again with an effort from the edge of the area and Richard Wood's header from the resulting corner was miraculously cleared off the line by Ben Gladwin.

Still no onslaught came from Rangers and Rotherham had another opportunity to wrap the game up but Jon Taylor selfishly shot when he should have passed to an unmarked Ward.

But they were not to be denied the three points as they enjoyed the winning feeling for the first time in 112 days.

Source : PA

Source: PA