Rotherham 0-2 Brighton- Match Report

Rock-bottom Rotherham offer up the tonic Brighton needed

Brighton returned to winning ways with a battling 2-0 win at rock-bottom Rotherham.

Second-half strikes from Anthony Knockaert and Solly March proved to be the difference in a close match.

It ensured title-challenging Brighton ended their losing streak at two but condemned Rotherham to a fifth straight defeat in their seemingly hopeless fight to stay in the Championship.

Rotherham had the first effort on goal but Jon Taylor's long-range drive was held onto by David Stockdale.

The Millers had a better opportunity to go ahead minutes later but Tom Adeyemi was thwarted by Stockdale after being played in by lone striker Jerry Yates.

Brighton almost took advantage moments later but Jiri Skalak volleyed over the bar from inside the box.

Uwe Hunemeier, playing because of injury to Shane Duffy, then headed just over the bar from Skalak's corner

His central defensive partner Lewis Dunk came closer with his header cleared off the line by Will Vaulks.

Yates was then denied at the other end by a stunning diving save from Stockdale following Vaulks' long throw which fell to the young striker kindly.

The away side then began to dominate possession but could not take their chances with Skalak having an effort blocked inside the box.

Anthony Forde failed to capitalise on a mis-placed pass by Stockdale and fired high and wide after taking his time with the Brighton keeper out of position.

Rotherham were still creating chances of their own and Adeyemi headed over from Joe Mattock's inswinging cross.

Sam Baldock looked destined to give Brighton a half time lead after sneaking in behind Rotherham's defence but his shot was turned away by Lewis Price.

The visitors started the second half with more purpose and went in front on 48 minutes through Knockaert.

The Frenchman fired in clinically after Beram Kayal and Baldock had both had goal-bound shots blocked heroically by Price and then Aymen Belaid.

Vaulks then made a crucial recovery block from Skalak after the winger had edged into the box.

Tomer Hemed then had an effort deflected just wide and Skalak's long-range strike flew just over as Brighton searched for a sealing goal.

They got it on 79 minutes with substitute March, who had replaced Knockaert, firing a low shot beyond Price from the edge of the box.

Baldock spurned a great chance to make it three after he beat the offside trap but the striker fired over his one-on-one chance.

Substitute Richie Towell also failed to net a third when clean through

His effort was dragged disappointingly well wide of goal but Brighton had already done the hard work to secure three valuable points.

Source : PA

Source: PA