Worldnet 2004 review - Part 5

Preparation for Watford B - The friendly against Gillingham kicked off late so we quickly had to head back to the camp and sort the team out for Watford B and get ourselves prepared. We all went through a little run to get warmed up for the Watford match.

Team vs Watford B - We took a slight gamble in this game in that we started with the first 11, the same as against Everton and hoped to be well up at half time. As such the lineup was exactly the same as the Everton match but with a view to wholesale changes at half time. A win in this game would assure qualification to the Cup and a progression from last year.


The usual battle cry went out and we started very very fast. In fact within minutes Steve Burns had broke clear of the defence as they desperately screamed for offside and slotted him over the top of the keeper. It was a perfect start for us and got us straight into the action.

Not long after Gaz fed a long ball down the line, Jebu chased onto it and after a neat step over got close to the bar line and delivered a cross to the back post. The Watford players just seemed to watch the cross as it drifted closer to the bottom corner of the net, eventually a defender made a move to try clear the ball but it was too late with the ball already over the line. It was a close call as to whether it was an own goal but Stevey said it was either over the line or going in anyway before the defender sliced the ball. Jebu was in no mood to argue and claimed the second goal.

With 10 minutes played it was 3-0 with the Internet Millers having far too much pace, power and skill for the second string Watford team. It was a fantastic passing move that involved the majority of the team and when the ball finally got squared for Jammer he ran onto the ball and belted it goalwards. It took a wicked deflection and straight into the net but once again Jebu and Steve thought the shot was goal bound anyway so credited Jammer with the goal.

The Millers went close on many other occasions as the defence was rarely troubled. One passing move was particularly impressive and had Jammer's strike gone in instead of hitting the keeper it would have been one hell of a goal. Jebu smashed home the rebound but was offside to the delight of the Watford defenders. To the annoyance of strike partner Steve, Jebu cheekily nutmegged a defender in the corner to a chorus of "Ole" but nothing came of the move.

Half time saw wholesale changes to the side with Jebu and Steve coming out of the match along with Jammer in the hole. Throughout the second half we made a couple more changes as we ran out comfortable winners. The match was rounded off perfectly by Adis who fired home on the turn past the keeper for his first Internet Millers goal, well deserved!

Final Score: Watford B 0:4 Internet Millers

Click here for Part 6