Internet Millers 5:0 Warrington Seniors

Score: 5-0 (w)

Location: Aurara

Date: Sunday June 14th

Starting Line-up


Jonny Duds Dan Lee

Adis Andy Steve R Mike

Jebu Steve

First Half

Having opted for a flat back 4 due to Denti not being available from the start and Jammer not playing, the defence settled quickly and passed the ball around well. It wasn’t long until a few half chances almost fell for Steve and Jebu.

The early pace by the millers paid dividends after just 5 minutes, Steve broke free down the left having beat a defender while Jebu checked his run to lose a marker, Steve played a square ball into the path of strike partner Jebu about 8 yards out who hit it first time, rifled into the top corner.

5 minutes later it could have been two. In a replica of the first goal but Jebu was down the right hand side of the pitch and squared for Steve. Unfortunately a topped shot hit the keepers legs.

However, Steve was not to be denied as within minutes the big man scored to make it 2-0. With his back to goal from about 30 yards out Steve received a pass from Andy, a lovely turn left the defender stranded as Steve flicked the ball behind him and ran onto it. Steve then paced away from 2 further defenders and slotted home passed an oncoming keeper.

The game quietened down for a short while with the Millers looking dangerous going forward but their hosts knocking the ball around well in the sweltering heat. Steve almost made it 3-0 with a fierce shot but the ball went wide. Then our visitors came close to scoring, Chris Grist who was helping out and playing for
Warrington hit a fierce 25 yard shot that struck the upright, with a little more bend it would have been a wonder goal.

The Millers defence were looking tight and the midfield of Andy and Steve strongly winning the majority of 50/50 balls. Adis and Mike provided us with a good amount of width with some mazy runs by Adis almost opening up Warringtons defence on a number of occasions.

After about 30 minutes the Internet Millers made it 3-0 courtesy of a 2nd Jebu goal. Steve closed down well in the middle of the park and the ball fell to Steve R. A delightful long pass switched play to Jebu who took the ball on his chest and ran into space in front of him. With just the keeper to beat Jebu lashed at the ball with his left foot and the keeper got a slight touch but not enough to stop it from hitting the back of the net.

Some more good passing by our hosts saw the first half come to an end with both sides making a number of changes to keep fresh legs. For Internet Millers Chris Grist partnered Jebu and then Steve up front, one of many changes.

HALF TIME: Internet Millers 3:0
Warrington Seniors

Second Half

The second half saw the arrival of Denti, after warming up he replaced Duds 10 minutes into the second half. It was decided we would switch to 352 for the last 20 minutes to give it another try before Worldnet allowing Duds to come back on.

The second half started well for the visitors, knocking the ball around the park to keep the legs fresh and the game went through a little bit of a midfield battle. However, when the midfield was penetrated the Millers defence held well with opposition strikers given little room to manoeuvre.

However, on the break the extra pace of the Millers was telling and after dropping deep Jebu hit a ball over the shoulder of the defence. It wasn’t the best pass but Stevey muscled onto the ball. With his back to goal he spied the keeper off the line and did a back heel lob that nestled into the bottom corner. A fantastic goal to make it 4:0 to the Internet Millers in what was now scorching heat.

almost snatched a goal when from a deep cross a strong header was pushed away by Skip who kept his concentration well all match and handled the ball well. In the closing 10 minutes the Internet Millers had two headers cleared off the line, the closest being Denti who bulleted one straight onto a defender stood on the post, from the rebound Steve almost converted but found the keeper with his header.

Adis almost got his first Internet Millers goal with a great run past a couple of defender and with the keeper to beat at a tight angle the ball was pushed away. Moments later a better chance opened up and with the keeper off his line Adis tried a lob but just didn’t get enough power to get it over the keeper.

In the final minutes Jebu rounded the day off nicely with an hatrick in a great individual goal. The team switched to 352 and whereas it lacked the organisation of the
Hull match it still worked well with Denti, Dan and Duds looking strong. Jebu was playing in the “hole” and having picked the ball up in his own half started on his mazy run. He skipped past two defenders and burst into space infront of him towards the outcoming defenders, a step over fooled the first defender leaving the millers 2v1 with Steve to his left. Running at full pelt Jebu pushed past the defender and then past the outcoming keeper, at a tight angle he slotted home to round a good day for the Millers.

Overall it was a good result against an experienced opposition who passed the ball around very well. In the strong heat and oven like aurara compound our opposition performed very well, especially considering they played a game before and had been out drinking in
Sheffield on Saturday night! Thanks for them coming down and if they are ever in the region again we will more than welcome them.

It was almost a perfect day after a BBQ at Steves house and leading the French 1-0. Then them dreaded 90 seconds brought everything down to earth for all of us. Gutted is not a strong enough word to describe how the nation felt but lets hope for wins against the swiss and

Up next for Internet Millers is
York this Saturday at Aurora for a midday kickoff. Please get your name down on the squad list and if anyone fancies coming along to watch us please do so! You can get a pint of beer from the bar and enjoy the sun!

TIME: Internet Millers 5:0 Warrington Seniors