Donny R'sonists Review Pt2

Second Half
There was a number of second half changes. Gaz Elliot came into the middle of the park alongside Bash with Andy P replacing young Lee who had a strong first half out at left wing back. Symon moved out wide into right wing back and Chris Grist and Jebu started back up front.

The Millers started the second half with a lot more purpose and after 5 minutes Jebu and Chris Grist very nearly made it 2:0. Finding some space from about 25 yards out Jebu curled a right foot shot to the near top left hand corner. With the keeper beaten the ball smashed off the upright and down to Chris Grist who missed timed his volley into the keepers hands.
For the next 10 minutes the Internet Millers started to put some better moves together but still looked very disjointed at times. The fluidity in passing was not as expected but when the millers did put it together they got round the back of the Donny defence and on two occasions Bash struck hard and low just past the net.

However, if the disallowed goal was a bit harsh the Donny lads got the goal they deserved when a somewhat questionable back pass by Duds was picked up by Dave in the net. Whether it was the right decision or not to give a free kick for a back pass the IM took example from the Donny lads and respected the decision. From the resultant free kick a rather tame chip that the striker hit deflected off the back of a millers defender and into the net to make it 1:1 and the Millers 8 game winning streak in danger.

With 30 minutes to go leading striker Burns and experienced midfielder Steve R got warmed up to come back on alongside Chris Cope. The Millers looked a little shook by the Donny goal and for 5 minutes the game drifted and after 65 minutes the subs were made with Burns replacing Chris Grist, Steve R replacing Symon and Copey replacing the tiring Duds who had worked hard throughout.
The subs were the inspiration that the Millers needed and in a 15 minute period blitzed in 3 quick goals.

The first came as a quick break by Gaz Elliot switched the ball out wide to Jebu on the left. Jebu fed Burns who passed wide out to Steve R in a mountain of space. Steve R smashed the ball and before the keeper had seen it the net was rustling to get the Millers back in lead 5 minutes after losing it.

Steve R almost picked out Jebu with two cutting passes but just overhit the balls but not soon after Steve R returned the favour of an assist for Burnsy as he chipped in a delightful pass into the box. Burnsy took the ball on his chest, then thigh and volleyed hard and low past the keeper who had no chance to make it 3:1 to the Millers.

The two goal cushion did finally calm all the Internet Millers down and we started to play the football we all know we are capable of. The passes got crisper and the communication between the players improved. A number of sweet moves saw Bash smash another couple of chances from the edge of the box just wide.

A long ball from defence saw Jebu do an extravagant overhead kick pass to Burnsy who raced clear but just missed with his shot. Andy P almost got on the score sheet with a volley from the edge of the box from a cleared corner but once again the Millers were off target.

With 10 minutes remaining IM wrapped up the game with a penalty. Jebu picked the ball up out wide near the corner flag from a Steve R pass. He megged the incoming defender and then burst into the box, a couple of side steps (Byfield styley) saw him burst pass the next defender heading towards goal. However, a lunge from behind caught Jebu on the knee and sent him tumbling. Regular penalty taker Gaz Elliot took the spot kick and smashed the ball hard and low to his left with the keeper no where near giving the millers commanding 4:1 lead.

A couple more subs saw Chris Grist come back on up front for the last 10 and Gav off giving John2 a run in the hole. In the last 10 an header from Burns suffering from vertigo saw him almost bag his second but nearly fall over! Not soon after Chris Grist almost broke free but strong defending cleared.

The game ended 4:1 to the Millers in a game had they played up to their usual standards could have won by more but in the end was a good result against a resolute and returning to form Donny side that reached the semi final of world net a couple of years back.

Full Time: Internet Millers 4:1 Donny Arsonists

Post Match Comments
Its now 9 straight wins counting on from end of last season which is a nice achievement we should be looking to extend. 3 straight league wins coupled with a friendly win as seen us with 100% record this season scoring 22 and conceding just 4. However, we need to learn from the game against Doncaster as at times our communication was not what it should be with some sloppy passing creeping in that gave the ball away too cheaply.

That said we did miss Burnsy up front and had he been on from the start I do believe the score line would have been 4 or 5 goals to the favour of the Millers by half time. I thought the young lads tried their best up front and it will be all good experience playing in a game from the start. Its much different coming on and playing well when the team is commanding the game easily with 3 goal cushions then it is when you are under the cosh and need goals to get the team going. That can be aimed at the whole team as at times we were giving the ball away too cheaply that can only be put down to nerves and expecting to be several goals up in the second half.

Don’t want to dwell on them negatives though because just like Sheff U we showed character where it mattered. We dug in and started to play well when needed to get the victory. Defence was solid throughout and with better communication the “letting the ball bounce” incidents can be cut out completely.

Onwards to the next game to see if we can make it 10 wins on the bounce.

Jebu out….