Internet Millers Programme Article- Port Vale

Last updated : 10 January 2006 By Millersmad Staff
Unfortunately, the heavy snow and freezing weather unfortunately meant that the pitch was unplayable and we had to make do with watching the first team win in the afternoon!

That postponement meant we had a couple of extra days to work off the beer and mince pies before our trip to Tranmere on Bank Holiday Monday. This was our first league meeting with them as the two clubs have missed out on playing each other recently so it was good to get a game in. An early start was required for the squad of 13 and we arrived in good time.

Tranmere are quite a way below us in the league and despite attracting their biggest squad of the season they couldn’t handle us from the first minute. Kicking down the slope in the backdrop of Prenton Park we took them to the sword and played some good attacking football. Burnsy opened the scoring after a ball from JV had sent him through. Our domination continued throughout the whole half but only Burnsy managed to trouble scorers, though he did do it a further three times. Two neat finishes and a great team move saw him rack four goals up. We missed a host of other chances as JV, Burnsy, Denti and Lee all went close. There was no referee for this game and although the game was played in a fair spirit on the whole, JV was the victim of a couple of challenges that were blatant penalties, the second being close to GBH it was that high.

So 4-0 at half time and with Sharky in the net having to do not much other than tie his bootlaces we could relax and enjoy the occasion. Several people changed positions but our onslaught did not cease. Two more goals from Burnsy and two from Lee made it 8-0 and really it should have been 18. Gilby, JV, Adis, Paul Ell, Lee, Burnsy and Duds all had efforts with varying degrees of accuracy and closeness. A special mention to Benno in midfield who doesn’t grace the score sheet very often and with his first two efforts of the match you could see why. However, with his third he let fly with a curling effort that was destined for the top corner until the keeper came from nowhere and tipped the ball on to the post. We were all gutted that it didn’t go in but only because we had to hear about it for the rest of the day.

This was classic IFA football and we all shifted to a nearby pub where we enjoyed some fine food and beer before heading back to Prenton Park to see yet another game ruined by a poor referee. Onwards and upwards for us now as we approach the business end of our season. We have a tough tie with Watford on Saturday and by the end of that day we should know who we face in the 2nd round of the IFA Cup.